Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany)

  --received from Karl E. Jorgensen--

> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 02:49:24PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:
> > Hi, I tried taking "-terminate" out of my esd.conf.  I logged out and
> > back in.  Indeed esd was started by Gnome (as I have sound for Gnome
> > enabled) and without the "-terminate" argument but Flash would not play
> > correctly in a browser until I killed the esd process.
>
> Have you tried
>     $ esdctl off
> ?  That should have the effect of making esd "shut up", and free up
> /dev/dsp (might still need -as on esdctl though
>
>     $ esdctl on
> should "unmute" esd again...
>
> > Once I killed
> > the process, I could play Flash and applications like xmms would start
> > their own esd process for sound but system/event sounds (from Gnome
> > and such) could no longer be heard.
>
> Because you killed the original esd, which the gnome panel (and others)
> were connected to...

You are completely right.  The real point I meant to make, rather, is
that running esd without the "-terminate" commandline option did not
allow non-esd applications to access /dev/dsp while esd was running and
when esd apps where not being run (at least not in my case which
admittedly seems to be a bit odd compared to others).  My message was a
response to Carl Johnson's message in this thread on July 23rd.  If I
understood him correctly, he was suggesting that removing the
"-terminate" commandline option for esd would allow esd to continue
running while unlocking the /dev/dsp when not being directly used by
esd (by an esd app, I suppose).  Yet, I didn't find this to be true in
my case.  Even when I removed the -terminate option when running esd
(thus esd continued to run) I could not use a non-esd audio
application, such as Flash appears to be.  Apparently, such non-esd
apps were still not allowed to access /dev/dsp while an esd process
(without the "-terminate" commandline option) was running.  The hope
was that the esd process started by Gnome (without the -terminate
option) would continue running (play event sounds) while releasing
/dev/dsp when not being directly used by an esd app so that non-esd
apps (like Flash) could also access /dev/dsp.  Yet in my case, I
couldn't successfully play Flash from a web browser until the esd
process was entirely killed (and, thus, no more event sounds).

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu