Re: Urgent

hi ya richard

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004, John Summerfield wrote:

> Richard Soetan wrote:
>
> >please help
> >Advice on how to  design good performance for a database of 72GB planning to grow up to 778GB in the next two years

nobody (very very few ) does a 10x growth in 2 years ... and if you did,
you have the $$$ to justify going from x  to 10x  growth

> >1. A database design to support the volumes, i.e. the separation of the physical files, layout of the database and so on.

find the right places to cut things up and put it on
different partitons, filesystems and backups

> >2. Table and index partitioning. At the Phase 1 volume there are some tables between 5-10GB however going to Phase 2 these tables are in between 50-100GB. How do we best handle these tables, i.e. does SQL Server allow partitioning, should be looking at file groups and so on.

sounds like fun ...

fairly small db...

> >3. Thoughts about the transaction log and it's management.

make sure all db transactions are logged on at least 3 different PCs
preferably in 2 or 3 different cities

> >4. Thoughts about the temp DB and its management.

always have a 2nd live copy of everything ... that can go live
in 1 second by simply moving the ethernet cable form "backup switch" to
the primary switch

"management" ... let the person responsible do it their way ... its their
gui prferences

> >5. Database configuration parameters, i.e. memory setting, initialization parameters and the like.

find out how many transactions per second you need to support
and see what the vendor recommends for the necessary hardware and network

> >5. What version of SQL Server do we have here, I'm assuming we need Enterprise Edition to accommodate a large memory allocation, i.e. > 2GB.

use the super-dooper expensively priced outside consultants

	- if they !#$% ... you can fire them and blame um for everything

> >pleaase help this is urgent

hire a professional db hardware and sw integrator and
reliability/manangement firm or people

- you can learn to do all this yourself ... if you have 2-3 months to play
  and test all the different pieces you mentioned

c ya
alvin