RE: install reboots, optiplex gx1

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Steven Jones wrote:

> I have used these quite a bit on Redhat and Debian, with hundred's of days uptime.

start uptimes in x,000's and than rattle the cages :-)

> You will probably find, if it has a 3com network card "its odd" and wont work with Linux, something in the Dell bios. I ended up installing a 8139c.

3com's 3c5xx and 3c9xx are okay ...

rt8139's are whacky ... and slow

> Otherwise I have found them rock steady, the PSU's do go dodgy,

always have spare fans and spare ps

> it might be yours is Donald Ducked.

or goofy'd ... or just plain garfield'd or just plain ole lemon

> Usually the first symptoms are failure to boot when warm, but boots fine when cold...

means the airflow aint flowing right and/or the contact between the
heatsink and fan aint working anymore
	- remove the heatsink, very carefully scrap off the junk and
	reapply a brand new batch of heatsink grease

my choice of mb... intel, tyan, asus,
	- other mb are last option, no choice and inherited

my choice of ps... sparkle or emacs
	- no other options ... pull the other ps before they die on you
	after it went to the far away colo

good thing for "dell" ... it's job security that somebody keeps calling
to come fix their boxes now ..

c ya
alvin