Turn off apm in 2.4.26-1-k6?

I have done a new install of unstable using the latest
debian-installer floppies (good work Men of Debian!!). Suitably
enough the kernel-image noted in the Subject: line was chosen by
the installer for this old K6-233 box I use for things like
playing with debian-installer.

HOW DO I TURN OFF APM?

Sorry. I got carried away. I've never had an install that
defaulted to apm=on. I tried in lilo.conf 'append "apm=off"' but
that didn't work, and I really didn't expect it to work cuz that's
a 2.2 kernel ploy is it not?

signed,

Perplexed in Little Rhody

--
Bob Bernstein

        "...the language of the wind that brings a thaw: it
         contains high spirits, unrest, contradiction, and April
         weather..."

                                      Nietzsche, The Gay Science