Re: `who` output keeps showing logins that have really logged out.

On Sunday 01 August 2004 10:40 am, Adam Funk wrote:
> On Friday 30 July 2004 15:10, Tom wrote:

> > Pretty useless reply, but I've noticed the same thing. It's been like
> > that for several months here, now.
>
> Actually that's useful for me to know: it makes it less likely that I've
> screwed it up.  Any idea what program or package puts the information
> in utmp?

Me three, now that you mention it.  I've got people logged in from a terminal
that has been offline for a month, and no processes owned by those users.

->apropos utmp
dump-utmp (8)        - print an utmp file in human-readable format
endutent (3)         - access utmp file entries
endutxent (3)        - access utmp file entries
getutent (3)         - access utmp file entries
getutent_r (3)       - access utmp file entries
getutid (3)          - access utmp file entries
getutid_r (3)        - access utmp file entries
getutline (3)        - access utmp file entries
getutline_r (3)      - access utmp file entries
getutxent (3)        - access utmp file entries
getutxid (3)         - access utmp file entries
getutxline (3)       - access utmp file entries
login (3)            - write utmp and wtmp entries
logout (3)           - write utmp and wtmp entries
pututline (3)        - access utmp file entries
pututxline (3)       - access utmp file entries
setutent (3)         - access utmp file entries
setutxent (3)        - access utmp file entries
utmp (5)             - login records
utmp-conv (8)        - convert UTMP files
utmpname (3)         - access utmp file entries
sessreg (1x)         - manage utmp/wtmp entries for non-init clients

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/