Re: Debianised Firewall

Sam Halliday wrote:
> Paul Gear wrote:

>>>cheers... but i do not need a way to generate rules; i already know
>>>how to do that. i just want to know if there is a standardised debian
>>>way of loading up a firewall on startup... like a file i need to dump
>>>my (customised) `iptables-save` output into. else i will just write
>>>my own initscript.
>>
>>I know how to do it as well, but i don't because shorewall saves a lot
>>of time and effort, and protects you from typos.
>

> /me does `apt-get install shorewall` and to hell with figuring out the proper way :-)

<g>  Indeed!

I learned iptables when i first converted my 900+ line ipchains script
into iptables (that alone cut the script by about 300 lines), then i
went from that to about 50 lines of shorewall config.  I've never
touched iptables since, except to troubleshoot or add a temporary rule
on a particularly slow machine.  Of course, my config is a lot bigger
--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>