Re: I/O Errors

on Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 09:04:07AM +1200, Steven Jones (Steven.Jones@vuw.ac.nz) wrote:

> On Fri, 30 July, 2004 at 8:50 a.m. Michael G. Morey (mmorey@optivel.com) wrote:

> > I'm running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1.  I've recently had to restart GNOME
> > 2.2, and found the following errors on the console (tty01) prior to
> > rebooting:
> >
> > I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 0
> > I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 64
> > I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 0
> > I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector 64
> >
> > Are these disk I/O errors?  What further diagnostics can I run, to help
> > troubleshoot the problem?
>
> see if the manufacturer has a disk diagnostic program available, but I
> would suggest the disk is stuffed.> Thanks.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

For clarity and to support conversational discussion style, please use
bottom-posting format:  your reply goes below the material cited.  Trim
your quotes appropriately and ensure your attributions are accurate.

See:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/email-style.html
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
    http://mailformat.dan.info/quoting/top-posting.html

Thank you.

As others have suggested:  confirm that it's not just the CD drive, in
which case it's likely harmless.

Rather than some random manufacturer's DOS/Windows based utility,
apt-get install smartmontools, then run short and long tests and check
results.

The short test has few false positives but only detects drive failures
about 70% of the time.  The long test takes ~30 minutes (rather than 2),
but accurately finds 95% of defective drives.

The manufaturer utilities are very likely based on the same S.M.A.R.T.
drive features.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.