Re: Synchronizing between Windows and Linux: character encoding problem

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:39:27PM +0200, Debian Users wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> I am trying to synchronize files between a laptop running either Windows
> XP or Debian and a Debian file server. I have tried rsync and unison on
> the Linux install of the laptop and rsync (under Cygwin) on the Windows
> install, but both were unable to transfer files with special characters
> (here: German umlauts) correctly.
>
> The situation is as follows: the file server also runs a samba server.
> Files with umlauts that are created under Windows can be transferred to
> the file server without problems. When the share on the server is viewed
> with the Windows Explorer, these files have all the umlauts intact.
>
> 	Example (I hope you can read these at all!):
>
> 	LOCAL FILE (Windows)		REMOTE FILE (Debian, viewed from Windows)
> 	test-äöü-from-win.txt		test-äöü-from-win.txt
>
> When viewed locally on the file server, the umlauts are missing:
>
> 	file-server:~$ ls test-*
> 	test-???-from-win.txt

Not a samba expert but it sounds like some codepage mismatching. You
might look through this reference if you haven't already:
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/unicode.html

Also, if you aren't using samba 3.0 it might benefit you to upgrade. I
understand it has much better support for internationalisation.  It is
available at www.backports.org if you need it for Debian stable.

You might also google for "unicode", "codepage", "international" on
samba.org for more help with earlier samba versions.

As I understand it, samba 2.x required synchronization between the
server and the clients on which codepages (character sets) were in use.

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.