Re: /dev/dsp problem

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:58:38 -0700 (PDT), Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@cs.hmc.edu> wrote:

Thks, but I have no module named "snd-pcm-oss", just one named "snd-pcm", so I think it 's bad.

this is an extract of my .config :

Device driver->Sound->Alsa->oss mixer api <M>
Device driver->Sound->Alsa->OSS PCM (digital audio) API <M>
Device driver->Sound->Alsa->[*] OSS Sequencer API

is it enough to have a module named snd-pcm-oss ?

 Thanks again, best regards

remy harel wrote:

Yet, my sound card is pretty nice configured, I'm using an SB Live!
1024 ( emu10k1 ) with alsa, loaded as a module. Sound work perfectly
in all applications, dvds, mp3 etc...even the surround is perfect ( by
the way, how wonderful is alsa ! ).

I'm pretty experienced with debian, but the only log I have is
"/dev/[sound/]dsp no such device".

/dev/dsp is the the (old) OSS sound driver interface.  If you are using
ALSA drivers, then you will need to load the OSS emulation modules in
order to access this device:

  modprobe snd-pcm-oss

If you have this module loaded already but the file /dev/dsp does not
exist, run the following command as root inside of the /dev directory:

  ./MAKEDEV audio

If you have the latest "alsa-base" and "udev" packages from unstable,
everything should be configured for you automatically when you start up
your computer.