Re: What's blocking Port 25?

Muddled thinking was also a problem! I was taking the
"connection refused" message to be a symptom that the
firewall was rejecting packets on that port. But I
should have remembered from my own experience (duh)
that one gets that message when trying to connect to a
port on which no service is listening. Sheesh.

I manually started exim as a listening port with exim
-bd, and everything fell into place. I started
receiving mail from the outside world, and lsof -cv
exim -a showed exim is up and running.

Next, I took a closer look at the /etc/inet.d/exim4
script, which was left over from an earlier install
from binaries. I'd hand-edited it to reflect the path
to the binaries I'd compiled myself -- and screwed up.
Once I correctly entered the path to the new exim
binary, the init.d script began working properly.

                              gp

--- John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au>