Re: Howto make root commands available to any user

On 29. July 2004 at 2:19AM -0700,
Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Otto Wyss wrote:
>
> > On my desktop system I'd like to make certain commands
> > requiring root (i.e. halt) available to ordinary users. What
> > choices do are there?

If you can stand Gnome or KDE that shouldn't be a problem

> > Are there already any script which makes a desktop linux
> > system more user friendly?
>
> click the login gui ...
> 	- it allows anybody to shutdown/halt/reboot

gdm, kdm?  probably there are workalikes with similar features
with library dependencies.

> - if those commands are not executable ...
> 	- fix your /etc/sudoers file
> 	( add the priviledged commands you want jane to run
> 	( and she still uses command line or the gui to shutdown
>
> - 3-finger salute should always work from any console for anybody
>
> - anybody that hits the power or reset switch should be shot on the spot
>   :-)

But as another poster said the buttons could be remapped to
initiate a graceful shutdown.