Re: Ethernet card not working after a clean kernel 2.4 installation of Debian 3.0

NabilM@kuveytturk.com.tr wrote:
Dear Fellows,

When I install Debian with kernel 2.2, the Ethernet card works fine. But when I install Debian with kernel 2.4, I don’t see any sign of lo or eth0 any where. I am new to Linux, and Debian in particular. Please advice. From the top of my head, I think that the kernel module for my Ethernet card is not loaded. If so, do I need to recompile the kernel with the appropriate modules or can I have a loadable module. If so, how do I know what is the right module? And how can I install a loadable module? Thanks.

Run "lspci" to see what chipset you have for your ethernet card; you'll see a line like:

0000:01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

which indicatess that this ethernet controller is an Intel 82450EM.

Now run "modconf", go to the /kernel/drivers/net area (or a net subarea) and select the closest match. After a successful insertion of the appropriate module, just reboot or restart networking (/etc/init.d/networking restart) and you should be in business.

--
Kent West
westk@acu.edu