Re: [OT] Hard Drive shutdown

David wrote:

I  know  this is not Debian specific, but I'm curious..

Yesterday, my HD shut down briefly rather unexplainably to me.

I was doing and aptitude update.  Suddenly, I heard something that
sounded like the HD shutting off and spinnign down. The HD light
normally flickers during HD operation, and looking at the light, it was
flickering apparently normally.

I was in X, and it appeared that nothing was responding.  I tried
CTRL-ALT-F1 and nothing seemed to happen at the moment.  Suddenly the HD
spun back up, I went into Console mode, etc..

Later, I noticed that at least one file was corrupted,
/var/lib/dpkg/info/openoffice.org-l10-en.list.  It was not complete; I
removed and reinstalled the whole openoffice.org suite.

I have the following entry in my kern.log (as well as corresponding
entries in other logs):

------------------ cut -----------------
Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0x80 {
Busy }
Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: DMA disabled
Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: ide0: reset timed-out, status=0x80
Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: status timeout: status=0x80 {
Busy }
Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: hda: drive not ready for command
Jul 28 15:25:41 localhost kernel: ide0: reset: success

Install, configure and use smartmontools.
If it doesn't recognise your drive, follow the reporting procedure. In a day or two there wil be a new package for you to try.

He service really is very good.

--

Cheers
John