Re: Couple Questions Before I install for first time.

Incoming from Jason G Skala:
> This weekend I am getting ready to switch my server over to Debian Woody
> from Red Hat 9.0. And have a few questions before I go and do this about SMP
> Kernels.
>
> I have a Intell LX440GX+ Motherboard with Dual PIII 500's running software
> raid currently, I have found some great articles on getting the Software
> Raid portion to work with debian so I think I am ok on that. My real concern
> is getting the SMP Kernel working with it, and I have yet to really find any
> good examples or docs on this. I am not new to linux but new to debian, I am

Worst case, the system comes up with a non-SMP kernel.  The simplest
solution is:

  - sanity check /etc/apt/sources.list; do you want stable, testing,
    or unstable?  Server generally == stable, plus backports if
    necessary.  Sarge will be promoted to stable not too long from
    now (geologically speaking), so you might consider jumping ahead.
    Careful here!

  - apt-get update ; apt-cache search kernel-image  # pick one!

  - apt-get install kernel-image...

It's damn near foolproof.  On reboot, SMP should be working.  Now your
problem is interpreting ps output on SMP kernels.  :-)

> used to Red Hat were I have a GUI install and select SMP kernel and that is
> it. Now is there an easy way to get a SMP kernel for debian or should I just
> plan on creating my own from source?

Unless your requirements are very strange, or you're extraordinarily
picky, a re-compile should be unnecessary.  The stock Linux
kernel-images work very well out of the box, Debian's especially.
Nowadays, I'd only consider recompiling in extraordinary
circumstances, but ymmv.

> The motherboard has a built in Adaptec aic7896/97 Ultra2 SCSI adapter, is
> this supported by default without any trouble?

Driver support is always dependent on how new the hardware is.  Google
for details, see lists.debian.org, etc.  See the changes document that
comes with all kernels/kernel source.  That should tell you what it
does and doesn't do.  All said and done, Linux has damn short wait
times for drivers for mainstream and/or useful components.  You may
have to wait a bit for solidity, but if you know Linux, this sort of
thing is no surprise to you.

> Also I have an intel Nic card 82559 that uses the e100 module/driver and

Google again.

> have read that this can be troublesome to get to working any info that some
> one can provide to me on that as well.

About the kludgy-est problem I've ever had to deal with was sticking
DAC960 RAID controller support into some boot.local script so it would
be there before everything else that needed it.  The need for that kludge
disappeared within months, and the kludge worked fine until the need
disappeared.

Anytime you have a problem finding a module, run modconf and turn it
on.  It should then be instantly available.

- -