Re: Getting photos from USB compactFlash into linux

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 04:42:38PM -0400, J F wrote:

> I would like to get Debian to recognize my pictures on
> from my camera which uses  compact flash.
>
> >From a posting by dances with crows:
> >USB Mass Storage devices are seen as SCSI disks.  Unless you have any
> >real SCSI disks or any other USB storage devices, your CF reader will be
> >seen as /dev/sda.  USB Mass Storage devices are almost always
> >partitioned so they've got 1 partition covering the entire medium.  If
> >everything else is working, you plug the USB CF reader in, then do
> >"mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/somewhere".
>
> So I typed:
> root@a2000xp:/etc/apt# mount -r -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/auto/sda
> mount: mount point /mnt/auto/sda does not exist
>
> root@a2000xp:/etc/apt# mkdir /mnt/auto/sda1
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/auto/sda1': Permission denied
>
> root@a2000xp:/etc/apt# ls -lad /mnt/auto/
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Jul 28 11:56 /mnt/auto/
>
> root@a2000xp:/etc/apt# id
> uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root)
>
> root@a2000xp:/etc/apt# mkdir /mnt/auto/sda1
> mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/auto/sda1': Permission denied
>
> root@a2000xp:/etc/apt# cd /mnt/auto/
> root@a2000xp:/mnt/auto# ls -lat
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    0 Jul 28 11:56 .
> drwxr-xr-x  5 root root 4096 Feb 10 16:34 ..
> root@a2000xp:/mnt/auto# df -a .
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> automount(pid856)            0         0         0   -  /mnt/auto
>
> root@a2000xp:/mnt# mount
> /dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> none on /proc type proc (rw,nodiratime)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
> automount(pid856) on /mnt/auto type autofs (rw,fd=5,pgrp=856,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
> none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
>
> Is /mnt/auto ( type autofs ) the correct place to
> mount the USB compactFlash?
> What is the last line item listed by mount:
> none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw) ??

you have autofs installed and running which automatically mounts file
systems on access and then unmounts them again after some time of no
usage.

If its configured properly you can probably do something like ls
/mnt/auto/sda or ls /mnt/auto/sda1 and the directory will be created
automatically and the usb flash device will be auto mounted.

What is the content of /etc/auto.* (there should be several
files). Otherwise you can create another directory under /mnt and try
mounting on that, such as mkdir /mnt/flashdisk, mount ...
You will also need the proper modules running, that would be the usb
modules, the usb-storage and the scsi modules, sd IIRC is the scsi disk
module.

If you have autofs running they should be loaded automatically (sd
sometimes forgets to though, on some systems).