Do I *have* to have xauth (and all that it brings in?)

I want to use X11 Forwarding.  Normally I can ssh -X to a machine and
it works fine.

But, I have a case where I need to first ssh to a machine on a public
IP and then from there ssh into the machine on the local LAN where I
want to run the application.

The problem is the machine in the middle is a server that doesn't have
any X libraries -- and doesn't have xauth.  So ssh -vv -X <machine>
reports:

  debug1: Remote: No xauth program; cannot forward with spoofing.

I don't really want to apt-get xbase-clients:

# apt-get -s install xbase-clients
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libdps1 libfreetype6 libxaw7 xlibmesa3 xlibs

Is there any other way around that?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org