Re: Any chance of Debian adding YaST

On Jul 28, 04:55, Florian Ernst wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:44:49AM -0500, Scott Thompson wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there are any official or third party plans to develop a
> > version for Debian.
>
> Please see
> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=238969>
> and the discussion starting at
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2004/03/msg01387.html>
> for details.

Interesting thread but it doesn't answer the posters real question which
is automagical detection of hardware.

My technique for such events is to boot a Knoppix cd and bootstrap
Debian proper in a chroot environment.  You can then copy the knoppix
/etc files to the chroot, trimming any cruft out of the knoppix /etc.
Hell with morphix you can LVM a scsi array before dumping the files to
disk preconfigured to what ever system or application package I want.

See debian-non-profit for the joys of Debian/Morphix, beats the pants
off aptitude.

Though to be honest I use <anti-christ>Gentoo</anti-christ> live CD
because of its EVMS package to carve up scsi arrays before installs.

Peace Jim

--
keys:  http://freesolutions.net/jim/pubkey.asc

 There is a hell - to be alone. And a heaven - to be able to be it.
 --Paul Bjerre