Re: newbie apt-get question

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 08:26:26AM -0400, Mark D. Hansen wrote:
> Thanks.  You are right - I'm using stable.  But, I thought that I could
> override the version of Samba (or other packages) included in the
> distribution by using the syntax in my original post (i.e.,
> samba=3.0.5-1).  Am I mistaken?
>
> Can I customize "stable" so that I use newever versions of some of the
> packages (like Samba)?  If so, is there a "HOW-TO" covering this?

In fact, the Apt How-To has a section on exactly this issue:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-version

Note that in order to get unstable packages, you need to have entries
for unstable in your /etc/apt/sources.list (an 'unstable' entry looks
exactly like a 'stable' entry except that 'stable' is replaced with
'unstable' :)

Also, be warned that upgrading one package may trigger a long chain of
"upgrades".  If samba is connected to enough other packages, you may
end up "upgrading" most of your system to unstable.  Unless you're
somewhat of a Debian expert, running unstable may lead to quite a bit
of frustration.

Jason