Re: Metacity window manager

On 26.7.2004 20:36 Marc Wilson wrote:

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 03:47:32PM +0200, Andrei Badea wrote:

IMHO Metacity isn't meant to be a full-fledged window manager (as is for example WM or Fluxbox), but instead it has to be used with the GNOME environment, which provides the "additional components", such as gnome-panel for the taskbar.

Uh, please define "full-fledged window manager", please.  A window manager
manages windows.  Anything else is extra.

Not that I'd ever be caught dead defending Metashitty, but it's doing
exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

It is just my impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that there are two definitions for window manager today:
- a program that manages windows
- a simple desktop environment, such as Fluxbox (that itself contains a program that manages windows and other programs for displaying a taskbar, menu and so on). This is what I meant by "full-fledged window manager".

No flame.

Andrei

--
andrei.badea@movzx.net # http://movzx.net # ICQ: 52641547