Re: lost my 'c' key in X

[I am not subscribed to debian-user; please retain the debian-x list in
your replies if they are on-topic.]

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 08:40:26PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2004.07.20.2012 +0200]:
> > as suggested in an earlier thread[1]: `setxkbmap us` (or whatever variant
> > you're using -- for a good time, try `setxkbmap dvorak` ;)
>
> heh. sorry for not having checked the archives. it was too surreal
> for me to experience to even think that this may happen twice. also,
> the machine in question is being really wicked lately.
>
> anyway, my problem appears way before I even get an xterm. it's
> already present in xdm. sucks if your login name contains one of the
> broken characters...
>
> nevertheless, I am using the us keymap, and XF86Config-4 is
> correctly configured. I also see it in the logs:
>
> (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
> (**) XKB: layout: "us"
>
> it's cool to have a workaround, but i think we need to fix the bug
> at a deeper level. what the heck is going on?
>
> and why 'c' and 'e'? sounds like a corruption of the keyboard map
> files to me. or something like that...

A problem sounding suspiciously similar to this afflicts U.K. keyboard
users who had specified "uk" as their XkbLayout rather than "gb".

The XKB layout names are based on ISO 3166 country codes, which means that
the U.K. gets the odd "country" code of "gb" rather than "uk".

Does this information help any?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       If atheism is a religion, then
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       health is a disease.