Re: DNS

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 13:10, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Patrick Albuquerque <patrick@albuquerque.ca> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 03:54:28PM -0600, Marvin Gerardo Aguero Salazar wrote:
> >>
> >> Just to clarify, I don't want to set up a DNS Server (which is what the
> >> DNS howto talks about). I just want to translate names to IPs.
> >>
> > You can do this in /etc/hosts
> >
> > IP  hostname
>
> Most people haven't been doing that since the advent of DNS, because
> hosts move and updating /etc/hosts every few hours gets kind of old.
> 8:o)

Sometimes /etc/hosts is the nicest solution. For example, I need to be
able to connect to a couple of servers owned by our customers from a
couple of specific hosts only. We have VPNs into their network that
allow SSH, but obviously accessing their nameservers is not an option.
The hosts file works nicely in this case. And unlike DNS, it can be
administered by mortals :-)

Cheers,

Simon