Re: dhclient renews lease every 5 secs

Ah - it's not a router - just a plain vanilla modem. I do routing on my
gateway which has two nics. THe 300+ will only give out one ip address I
think - a private one if no dsl line is found for the purposes of
configuring the modem or the public one obtained from the pppoe
connection.

Also, as far as I can see on the technical specs of the dlink dsl 300+,
it supports bridging dhcp... Do you use that? (It doesn't appear that
you need to, but...)

I've tried stuffing around with dhclient.conf to try and specify the
lease time, but I can't get it working.
That would not help. If the DHCP server only gives you a lease time for
X seconds, holding on to the IP address for longer is dangerous - by
then the DHCP server could have given that IP address to somebody else!

Fair enough. Finding documentation on configuring these modems is a
right pain though :(

I recently had occasion to chat up a DSL-300. Despite the documentation (there's a howto at the delink website), it actually configures itself at 192.168.1.1, even when running with an active link, and with a bit of creative use of screen, telnet and good old swipe n paste I was able to make the configuration change remotely through its active link.

Fortunately the LAN was on 0.0 so I was able to configure the Linux boxes ethernet interface used for the DSL link with a 1.x address.

I gather I can probably get it to log somewhere else, but I'd much
rather have it log *much* less frequently. I have a static ip address,
so it doesn't need to renew frequently at all.
I take it that you have a static *external* ip address?

Yeah - really the modem is just acting like an adsl-ethernet bridge. The
only thing that was confusing me is that the modem is using pppoe to
connect to my ISP, rather than a straight bridged connection.

In my case the DSL is just a dumb modem and the PPPoE stuff is done in the Linux box.

But as I said in a previous email, setting my ecternal interface up as a
static interface seems to be working ok. And hopefully will continue to
do so unless my ISP changes my IP address without telling me.

You really should talk to your IAP about this. It could be their end is broken or you've misapplied the instructions.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait