Re: dhclient renews lease every 5 secs

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 10:55:28PM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> This is finally driven me nuts enough to try and fix it.
>
> I use dhcp to get an ip address from my dlink dsl 300+ modem.
>
> The problem is, that it wants to renew it every 5 seconds and syslog
> *fills* up with this sort of log message:

If your dsl modem is your dhcp server (it sounds like it so far), then
you need to re-configure the dhcp server settings on the the modem.
Increase the lease time to something sensible, e.g. 6 hours or a day?

> Jul 23 22:41:29 vetinari dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPREQUEST on eth1 to 203.87.20.175 port 67
> Jul 23 22:41:29 vetinari dhclient-2.2.x: DHCPACK from 203.87.20.175
> Jul 23 22:41:29 vetinari dhclient-2.2.x: bound to 203.87.20.174 -- renewal in 5 seconds.

Those are mighty weird IP addresses for a local network !? Are you sure
that we're not talking about your *external* ip address?

Also, as far as I can see on the technical specs of the dlink dsl 300+,
it supports bridging dhcp... Do you use that? (It doesn't appear that
you need to, but...)

> I've tried stuffing around with dhclient.conf to try and specify the
> lease time, but I can't get it working.

That would not help. If the DHCP server only gives you a lease time for
X seconds, holding on to the IP address for longer is dangerous - by
then the DHCP server could have given that IP address to somebody else!

> I gather I can probably get it to log somewhere else, but I'd much
> rather have it log *much* less frequently. I have a static ip address,
> so it doesn't need to renew frequently at all.

I take it that you have a static *external* ip address?

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com