RE: Debian crashes

I had similar problems a week or so ago.  It wasn't limited to Firefox,
sometimes it was doing a file search, sometimes it was with the screensaver
running, it would just happen off and on.  When it did, I could not SSH into
the machine or switch out of X or anything.  I was using kernel 2.6.6-1-i686
on an AMD Athlon.  I upgraded using apt to the 2.6.7-1-k7 kernel and the
problem went away.  I changed nothing else on the machine.  It's been
running for over a week now without a single hiccup.  Before, it crashed 3
or 4 times a day.  Don't know if that info will help at all.