Re: Diskless Debian PCs / Network Boot

Salman Haq wrote:

I've gotten so far as actually getting a client to boot by using PXELinux.

Since the client is actually diskless, the boot process stops when the kernel tries to mount a filesystem - that results in a kernel panic as expected.

I'm considering using a RAM disk image or NFS to remotely mount the filesystem. If anybody has any tips on this, I would really appreciate it.

A custom kernel is ideal. You need to configure some particular options - see the Documentation directory for details, and build in the driver for your NIC. On boot, the kernel
Initialises the NIC
Gets an IP address etc
Mounts your NFS filesystem.

You might also take a look at the Linux Terminal Server project.

In addition to what you've already done (and the kustom kernel) you need to run NFS server on something, create filesystem(s), export filesystem(s).

You can (in fstab) mount addition filesystems.
/usr can be to
/var must be per-host.
/etc must be per-host. I think you can mount tmpfs on it.
/ can be ro (think cd booting).
/tmp must be rw and per host.
/home can/should be sharedrw (natch).

--