Re: attempt to login as root?

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 10:28:33AM +0930, David Purton wrote:
> I just noticed a stack of failed attempts to ssh into my box as root
> over the last half an hour or so. I've now blocked the offending ip
> address, so hopefully they'll go away. Is there anything else I
> can/should do? Is it worth complaining to the owner of the subnet?

Could be any number of things, including people mistypying IP addresses,
wannabe script kiddies and you-name-it.

Complaining is unlikely to help, but it probably cannot do much harm
either. Unless of course the complaint gets relayed to the perpetrator
and he decides to DDOS you...

I guess you could tighten things up by only allowing key-based logins:
    /etc/ssh/sshd.conf:
        PasswordAuthentication no
        UsePAM no
and make sure that you use privilege separation on ssh (which
unfortunately will break keyboard-interactive pam modules):
    /etc/ssh/sshd.conf:
        UsePrivilegeSeparation yes
        PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt no

Before you do this, you want to make sure that ~/.ssh/authorized_keys is
set up properly :-)

> I don't allow root to log in directly over ssh anyway, so what would a
> person gain from trying to do this?

spending 10 minutes becoming 10 minutes older? And possibly wiser?

HTH

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com