Re: modules not found after kernel recompile

Hi guys, and thanks for all your help so far!

Observations:

- I misspelled moudule-init-tools as modutils-init-tools.
  Sorry! Did all file searches by correct name, though.

- module-init-tools was installed BEFORE kernel recompile

- A non-initrd kernel image was made

- Documentation/post-halloween-2.6.txt
  does not exist in my kernel source tree
  (downloaded directly from www.kernel.org)

- I upgraded module-init-tools to last available version
  (now: 3.1-pre5) after kernel recompile (was 3.1-pre2)

- I also did an 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get upgrade'
  after recompile (could have been smart to do before?)

- There is no modprobe.conf anywhere on my system,
  just the manpage for it and a demo script called
  generate-modprobe.conf.gz in doc/module-init-tools/ex..

- Modules are found in correct location,that is:
  /lib/modules/2.6.71, which corresponds to the output
  of 'uname -r'

- The file modules.dep in that directory looks OK.

_ I have removed modutils as suggested, since I am
  now running a 2.6 kernel anyway.

- There's a modules.conf.old in /etc, but no modules.conf.
  AFAIK I didn't rename it...so a script must have.
  So moving entries from modules.conf (nonexisting)
  into modprobe.conf (also nonexisting) or into the
  modprobe.d directory (how? by copying them to the alias file,
  which is already there, and contains - from what I can see -
  about the same things?), confuses me a tad.

 - Getting a bit weary of this... :-\

Ideas, anyone? Do I have to go back to W*nd*ws?
Does things really have to be this convoluted?

Thanks for input!

best regards,

Inge Thorin Eidsæther
blackwings NOSPAM at NOSPAM inbox dot com