Re: syncing pda + phone on linux?

On Monday 26 July 2004 07:33, William Ballard wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:47:05AM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> > Phone numbers and appointments.  I've tried using all the other
> > fanciness, but I never seem to stick with it.  Post-its on the wall
> > work better for me than a to-do list.
>
> Last year I wrote a GTK app (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pim-tb)
> which lets me define a schema in XML, then enter lists of things and
> save the data as XML.  It's a little minature relational database,
> and I use it to keep track of dates, account #s, buglists, books I
> want, bills I need to pay, serials, bunch of stuff.  I tried the
> 19,000 programs Debian ships to do the same thing but didn't like
> "how they worked" so I wrote #19,001.
>
> Then I bought a PocketPC.  I bought a C# api called "PocketOutlooK"
> which lets you programmatically delete and create appointments,
> contacts, &c.  I wrote a custom C# app that runs on the PocketPC that
> imports some XML and creates various things, and use xsltproc on my
> PC to transform my little databases into a pre-processed format.
>
> Then I use vsftp and bluez-utils with bluetooth to set up some little
> scripts that (1) turn on bluetooth on the host pc, (2) run some curl
> scripts to check my current bank balances and current library books,
> (3) transform my databases to xml, (4) gzip it it all and put it in
> an "outgoing" ftp folder, (5) start bluetooth on the pocketpc, (6)
> run the C# app which connects to the ftp server (needed an open
> source C# ftp library for that, (7) gunzips it (needed an open source
> C# library for that), (8) deletes all the data on the pocketpc, (9)
> recreates it all.
>
> It also exports all the "state" of the pocketpc before and after the
> import, gzips it, ftps it up to the host pc, and then I run some
> scripts which do a "delta" and I manually sync the host app.  Mostly
> I use the pocketpc for reading data, not entering it.
>
> I have all this down to a 4-step process which takes about 1 minute,
> and there is a lot of room for optimization.  The trick is you need
> to write some code yourself, don't use the crap KDE gives you if you
> don't want to be hamstrung.

Sounds cool. can you give me more information on that? I was playing
with the idea of getting a Pocket PC (Asus A716 with integrated
Bluetooth and WiFi) and have the desire to do the same like you...
syncing addressbooks with my notbooks and mobile phone (also
bluetooth).
Any infos about gotchas and success stories with Pocket PCs and Linux?

Cheers
Arne
- --
Arne Götje (高盛華) <arne@linux.org.tw>
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/685D1E8C
Fingerprint: 2056 F6B7 DEA8 B478 311F  1C34 6E9F D06E 685D 1E8C