Re: 6G memory

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 11:59:20AM -0400, Jason Rennie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got a machine w/ 6 gigs physical memory.
> kernel-image-2.4.26-1-686-smp only recognizes 4G.  I unsuccessfully
> tried to build a custom kernel with kernel-package and in the process
> learned that the 4G limit is due to a kernel option.  Is there a
> 2.4.26-1-[36]86-smp kernel available with the 64G mem option turned on?
>
> I can't use a 2.6 kernel since we use Kerberos/AFS and AFAIK, AFS
> doesn't work on 2.6 yet.

Does kernel-image-2.4.26-1-686-smp meet your needs in all ways except
that it only supports 4G? If so, use the .config file that comes with
it as a starting point for making a .config for your own build. It will
save a lot of time understanding build options that have already been
worked out by the debian maintainer. Then use make-kpkg to do the
grubby details of the build. It is easy to build your own kernel, but
except in situations like yours, it seldom is necessary within debian.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net