Re: yay! I can print!

* John Summerfield <debian@ComputerDatasafe.com.au> [2004 Jul 25 06:34 -0500]:
> I quite like cups. It can automagically find other cups printers. Add a
> new printer to "that box over there" and everyone knows about it. Works
> with Windows 2k too (but I don't know the details).
>
> I told a mate about it. He, like me, is a bit of a fiddler. He installed
> it, fell in love with it.
>
> I'd previously fought with both lpd and lprng on RHL. CUPS is better.

I concur.  I never have had satisfactory print quality on my agin
Lexmark 4039-10R with lpr/lprng with magicfilter/apsfilter.  I started
playing with CUPS a month or so back and once I installed libgimpprint
and used their ljet3 driver in CUPS I got the best output from that
printer I have seen yet.

I really like the Web style admin interface even if it is a bit quirky
the first time through (like all interfaces it seems).  Not having to
edit some obxcure text file suits me fine.  I'm happily using a program
that was too complicated for even ESR to setup.  ;-)

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"