Re: yay! I can print!

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

(on sid)

Okay, I know this is pathetic, but I haven't had printing set up on my
user debian machine in ... well, ever.  Or several installs ago, anyway.
This particular machine tends to be my guinea pig.  And printing always
seems so complicated and whatnot ... and I rarely print, anyway ... so I
just didn't bother.  Our printer has its own IP address and all, so this
really should be straight-forward; I'm just lazy.

Anyway, I finally did it.  It was odd.  I had a magicfilter script in
place, so I installed lprng

I quite like cups. It can automagically find other cups printers. Add a new printer to "that box over there" and everyone knows about it. Works with Windows 2k too (but I don't know the details).

I told a mate about it. He, like me, is a bit of a fiddler. He installed it, fell in love with it.

I'd previously fought with both lpd and lprng on RHL. CUPS is better.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait