Re: Compatibility of external drive enclosures

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

On 2004-07-24, Jonathan Melhuish penned:
I'm looking to buy a USB 2.0 5.25" external drive enclosure.  Which
ones are linux compatible?

I've been unable to find any useful information despite my Googling
efforts, so any pointers would be most appreciated.  :-)

My gut instinct is to say that they should all work, but I'm sure
someone out there would be able to post evidence to the contrary.

I've got a "Mobile Disk External Data Storage" enclosure with a laptop drive inside it. Looks like a shirt-pocket size Holy Bible. Works fine on everything I've plugged it into (all pre USB 2.0). Works fine. Its internal chipset is Cypress something.

I've sort of got (not in my possession atm) an enclosure for 3.5" ATA drives containing a 250 Gbyte ATA (LBA48) drive. Works on some boxes with some kernels. Does not work a a RHL 7.3 box with the last RH kernel for RHL 7.3. I don't know whether it's because
a. The box can't plug it in properly (but it works on his Powerbook)
b. The USB side of the USB2.0/Firewire combo card _and_ the onboard (VIA) USB chipset aren't supported. The firewire works.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait