Re: Distributing platform independant software (Was Is Linux Unix?)

David Baron wrote:

The other alternative is .... Java. Some might want to compile using gcc, other might leave it as source and run throught the virutal machine. Of course, if the program is in the form of a .jar, there is no choice but it should run anywhere (and be set up so this does indeed work!).

I thought Java was supposed to be write-once-run-anywhere. Yet at my university we have a product called Banner, distributed by SCT, running on an Oracle database. The Java version ("Internet Native Banner") seems to always be a constant issue, in that every time a new version of Banner is put into place, the on-site programmers have to tweak and test the Java client, and never get it working quite right everywhere (and they always claim that SCT only supports INB on Internet Explorer). The current version doesn't work on Safari or the Java Applet Runner on Mac OS/X 10.3.4 (but it does on 10.2.8, as well as in Firefox and IE on 10.3.4; it also (currently) works fine on my Debian box using appletviewer with Java from Blackdown).

I say all this to say that in my limited experience as a Java "customer", Java isn't a write-once-run-anywhere tool after all. It's my suspicion, however, that the problem is not really Java, but rather that SCT has simply failed to code proper Java. Can any of you Java programmers/experts address this? Is the problem with Java, or with SCT's programming, or maybe the problem is with the way the local programmers are setting up the http link(s) to the app, in which case, it must be really hard to get it right, since this is always an issue with each new web site redesign and/or Banner upgrade?

Thanks!

--
Kent