Re: DB Updated, but no Updates

  >> Sometime when I run the "update" command ('u'), I see what
  >> appears to be new info (last time about 500kB) for the DB being
  >> transfered.  Yet, when the display is redrawn, neither new nor
  >> updated packages are listed.

  fe> Updating the Package and Release file is more in the 3 MB order
  fe> of magnitude.

Yes, that's what I normally see ... maybe closer to 4 MB?

I sure wish just those files -- not the package files themselves --
could be obtained using 'rsync'.  Why reload them in their entirety
each time when they normally have few changes?  [ Some of you might
recall that my home system is on a *slow* dialup line ...]

My previous investigations have shown that the "'rsync' issue" has been
discussed before and created a small "war".  But those discussions had
*everything* using 'rsync'.  I would just like the "package and
release" files to use it.  Ftp would be find for the .deb's ...

  >> What is really going on here?  My theory is that there *are*
  >> updates, but only to programs that I don't have installed ...

  fe> This is one possibility, but recently this might rather stem
  fe> from the testing migration scripts ("britney") being
  fe> broken. AFAIK the bug has been found and testing migration
  fe> should run again now.

Ah, hadn't known about that!  I did notice, however, that the "shorter"
(500kB) transfers only started occurring recently.

Thanks, Florian, for your comments!

  -Kenneth