Using APT with a local mirror

[With apology that this duplicates a mail to 'backports']

I see in the SOURCES.LIST document that one can use the "file:" scheme
URI to designate a source.
I am in a position where I need to do just that. I cannot get my nVidia
cardset to work, so I cannot reach the 'net from Linux; I need to use
Windoze for that.
I set up a FAT32/VFAT area to cache all my downloads -- it looks like a
huge but fragmented RSYNC of pieces of the net.  I duplicate the
directory structure of my source.

I set it up in what looked correct, but APTITUDE complains that it
cannot stat. the package list files.  I assume that is the
"Packages.gz" or "Sources.gz" file. Also, the way the path looks in the
error message is seriously munged from what it is on disk: looks like
"/" replaced by "." [IIRC] and a few other translations.

My hypothesis is that I haven't formatted the file:/top/next/third/ . .
. URI correctly, or that I have pointed it to the wrong place in the
tree.  Of course, a formally correct URI would need to begin
"file:///top/next . . .".

Can someone send me a copy of a correctly formatted file URI from
SOURCES.LIST?

And, as a P.S., do the debian and backport servers / mirrors support
RSYNC?  It would surely save me a lot of manual stuff.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard