Re: Is Linux Unix?

Ryo Furue wrote:
Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote in message news:
[...]

I'm using the Intel Fortran Compiler (IFC).  Its version 7 runs on Debian
without any problem whatsoever, although Intel doesn't support Debian.  But,
last year Intel released a total rewrite of the compiler, version 8, with
which my Fortran programs don't work at all [...]

If your programs work with version 7, why do you feel a need to
migrate to version 8? Well maybe because version 7 will become
unavailable soon (?).

For a couple of reasons.  One is that Intel doesn't want to fix bugs in
version 7.  For example, I discovered a problem in version 7 and reported
it to Intel. They aknowledged that it is indeed a problem, but they say they
won't fix it because version 8 doesn't have the problem.  They strongly urged
me to migrate to version 8.  I suspect that they wish they hear nothing
about version 7 and want to pull out as soon as possible.

Another reason is that I'm not sure if you can get a copy of version 7 for
free any more.  When I installed version 7, I didn't think it will go away
so that I didn't store the package.  Now, what if my machine crashes and I
need to install the compiler again?

  one or more of the following:

  - backup your machine

- see where the compiler is installed, backup those directories and files (if you can't find all the compiler files do lsof when the compiler is running or run compiler with strace and see which files it opens - that way you will find all the libraries, config files etc. that it uses)

- get the package, if intel doesn't offer it anymore I am pretty sure there is some place on the net where users of intel fortran meet/talk so they should be able to help you (I assume it is at least sort of legal since it was free)

(Or migrating to C/C++?)

That's out of question! :)  For numerical computation, Fortran 95 is "better"
than C++. (I have plenty of experience in C++ programming.)  Sure I greatly
miss C++'s objects and templates and other goodies.  But codes for numerical
computation can be much more "easily" written in Fortran 95.  That's the most
important point for a non-proffessional programmer like me.

I find that hard to believe. is it because of fortran libs that are not available for c/c++ or is performance much better or does fortran have some features that make it easy to write numerical computation code (I forgot most of what I had to learn about fortran but I don't remember ANYTHING being easy/readable in fortran).

	erik