Re: Netscape seems to default to Postscript(tm of Adobe), but I don't have a postscript printer

----- Original Message -----
From: "J F" <j1234f@excite.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 1:12 PM
Subject: Netscape seems to default to Postscript(tm of Adobe), but I don't
have a postscript printer

> Printing from Netscape seems to default to
> Postscript(tm of Adobe), but I don't have a postscript printer.
>
> Is there a way to set up 2 print spools?
> One called hpprinter and one called hpprinter-P?
> Both would be the same except hpprinter-P would
> go thru a postscript to raster converter to
> emulate postscript?
>
> I have been playing around with cups and kde printer,
> but I am still lost in the jungle.
>
> Or can Netscape be configured to not output
> postscript?
>
> Thanks in advance,

What little I know about Linux printing:

All Linux programs speak postscript for printing.  The printing system you
use will use a filter to convert postscript into the language used by your
printer.  You may need to install the filter package and then set up the
printer in CUPS or LPR or what ever.

You can apt-get the gimp-print package which provides photo quality filters
for many printers.

Then use printmgr (root access required) to install your printer.

Eric