Re: ZIP drive question.

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:58:15 -0500
"Forinash, Kyle" <kforinas@ius.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:27:38 -0500
> "Forinash, Kyle" <kforinas@ius.edu> wrote:
>
> This zip disk is formatted, isn't it?
>
> Try one more mount command - "mount -t msdos /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip".
>
> HTH,
> Jacob
> ----------------
> Yes, this is a backup disk with stuff on it.
>
> :/home/kyle# mount -t msdos /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd4,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> The drive does react and sound like it tries to read the disk. I tired
> to new partition a different disk with fdisk but get the same thing.
>
> Having spent some time Googleing I have discovered what may be the
> problem (and I'm learning a lot!): vfat.o (msdos, FAT16 etc.) is NOT
> in /lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci/fs/ (in fact no where in the system- how
> I installed a clean system without it is beyond me, lots of other
> modules are there).
>
> I think maybe if I had version kernal version 2.2.20 of vfat I could
> insmod it (other versions of vfat will not fool insmod -I tried using
> a different version from an old RedHat system).
>
> I don't know any other way of getting around this, if that is the
> problem (except perhaps a kernel recompile, and I don't have time to
> learn how to do that right now).

Now that I look, the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel in Woody comes with vfat
compiled into the kernel instead of as a module. I'm not sure about
2.2.20-idepci, but I would suspect it's the same. grep for "VFAT" in
/boot/config-2.2.20-idepci and see what it says. It should read 'y' for
compiled into the kernel, 'm' for compiled as a module or 'n' for not
compiled at all. On the off chance that 2.2.20-idepci doesn't have vfat
support, "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4" should install a
newer kernel with vfat support compiled in - saving you the trouble of
having to compile your own.

Also, what version of Windows was used to write to this disk? Did you
ever format it in Windows, or just used it with the format that Iomega
puts on their PC zip disks?

Sorry, it's been a little while since I've played with zip drives.
Hopefully someone else will jump in here if they see me going wrong.

HTH,
Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #56:
Windows hasn't increased computer literacy. It's just lowered the
standard.