Re: ZIP drive question.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:27:38 -0500
"Forinash, Kyle" <kforinas@ius.edu> wrote:

> >/home/kyle# /bin/mount /dev/hdd /mnt/zip
> >mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> >/home/kyle# /bin/mount -t vfat /dev/hdd /mnt/zip
> >mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
> >       or too many mounted file systems
> >/home/kyle# /sbin/fdisk /dev/hdd
>
> >Command (m for help): p
>
> >Disk /dev/hdd: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 239 cylinders
> >Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes
>
> >   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> >/dev/hdd4   *         1       239    244720    6  FAT16
>
> >Command (m for help): q
>
> >:/home/kyle# /bin/mount -t FAT16 /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
> >>mount: fs type FAT16 not supported by kernel
>
> ------------------
> You're on the right track. As root try "mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4
> /mnt/zip".
>
> HTH,
> Jacob
> -----------------
> Nope I get:
> /home/kyle# /bin/mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd4,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
>
> I'm still stumped....(but thanks for the help-at least I'm not being
> stupid)
---------------------------
This zip disk is formatted, isn't it?

Try one more mount command - "mount -t msdos /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip".

HTH,
Jacob
----------------
Yes, this is a backup disk with stuff on it.

:/home/kyle# mount -t msdos /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd4,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

The drive does react and sound like it tries to read the disk. I tired to new partition a different disk with fdisk but get the same thing.

Having spent some time Googleing I have discovered what may be the problem (and I'm learning a lot!): vfat.o (msdos, FAT16 etc.) is NOT in /lib/modules/2.2.20-idepci/fs/ (in fact no where in the system- how I installed a clean system without it is beyond me, lots of other modules are there).

I think maybe if I had version kernal version 2.2.20 of vfat I could insmod it (other versions of vfat will not fool insmod -I tried using a different version from an old RedHat system).

I don't know any other way of getting around this, if that is the problem (except perhaps a kernel recompile, and I don't have time to learn how to do that right now).

Thanks for the help, any suggestions?

kyle