Re: Serial help - minicom?

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:16:26AM -0600, Nathan J. Malmberg wrote:
> Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> >I've got an Access Point that has a serial port.  The AP runs Linux
> >(it's an Netgear WG302).  I can't connect to it from Linux using
> >minicom.
> >
> >After messing with it for an hour I brought out an old Win95 machine
> >with hyperterm and was able to connect no problem.  So, AP and cable
> >are working fine.
> >
> >I suspect it's minicom that's causing me problems.  Likely flow
> >control.  Minicom always reports "OFFLINE".
> >

> I have no idea if this will help...
>
> When I set up a null modem connection using minicom, I had to set the
> modem initialization string and reset string to empty values so that
> minicom wouldn't send data that would scramble the remote system before
> I even got started.  There are example scripts for this in
> /usr/share/doc/minicom/examples, which I incorporated into my own
> startup file.

That should work yes.

I have used minicom for the first time successfully with a null modem
cable about 10 days ago.  It worked after starting it with

minicom -s

and then clearing out all the initialization codes for the modem and
specifying the serial port.

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another;
      be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and
      humble. Do not repay evil for evil or insult for
      insult, but with blessing, because to this you were
      called so that you may inherit a blessing."
                                          I Peter 3:8,9