Re: Serial help - minicom?

Bill Moseley wrote:

I've got an Access Point that has a serial port.  The AP runs Linux
(it's an Netgear WG302).  I can't connect to it from Linux using
minicom.

After messing with it for an hour I brought out an old Win95 machine
with hyperterm and was able to connect no problem. So, AP and cable are working fine.

I suspect it's minicom that's causing me problems.  Likely flow
control.  Minicom always reports "OFFLINE".

I have no idea if this will help...

When I set up a null modem connection using minicom, I had to set the modem initialization string and reset string to empty values so that minicom wouldn't send data that would scramble the remote system before I even got started. There are example scripts for this in /usr/share/doc/minicom/examples, which I incorporated into my own startup file.

Naturally, the user starting minicom has access to the serial port...

For what it's worth, minicom always shows that I am offline on that connection, even as I am executing commands across the line.

I hope you figure out the difficulty,
Nate