Re: LPRng, Debian, and OS X

Responding to my own message, in case it helps others with the same
problem.  On Thursday July 15th, I wrote:

|> I have a Debian (testing) box which runs LPRng version 3.8.27-1 as
|> its printer spooler.
|>
|> I have set up /etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/lprng/lpd.perms so that this
|> box will handle print-requests from the laptops that are also part
|> of the home network (the printer is connected to the parallel port
|> of the Debian box).
|>
|> This all works great from my own laptop, which also runs Debian
|> (and has the same version of LPRng). But there is also an OS X
|> laptop in the house, and print requests from that machine are
|> refused. The resulting message in /var/log/lpr.log is:
|>
|> Service_connection: short request line '^B', from '192.168.1.101
|> port 836'

This problem has now been solved.  It was (just) a matter of using the
printer configuration tool on the OS X laptop so that print-jobs would
be sent to the appropriate filter on the OS X (CUPS) side. For the HP
LaserJet 1100, that filter seems to be HP Laserjet 4L, CUPS+Gimp-Print
v4.25 (or at any rate that one works).

I had mistakenly assumed that print-jobs sent from other machines to
a print-queue on the print-server would be sent through the filter
defined for that queue on the server side. But evidently that is
wrong. The filtering, it seems, must be done on the client side,
before the job is sent to the print-server.

In any case: all now works well and I'm grateful to all who offered
help,

Jim