Re: Sarge

On 07/21/04 22:40, Haines Brown wrote:
"Jerry Wong" <wong63124@hotmail.com> writes:

What is the meaning of "SARGE" and how to pronounce it.

--
Jerry Wong

I was hoping someone would provide an authoritative response, but not
so far. I'll reply at a simple level, and await someone to jump in to
correct me.

It seems likely that "sarge" is the common US English abbreviation for
the term "sargeant," which is a military rank. It would be pronounced
with a soft g and the e is not pronounced.

I assume you are talking about testing debian, and it may be that
whoever cooked up the name had something else in mind. I've no idea
why the versions were named potato, woody, sarge and sid.

From the Debian FAQ:

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.en.html#s-codenames

5.3.2 Where do these codenames come from?

So far they have been characters taken from the movie "Toy Story" by Pixar.

    * buzz (Buzz Lightyear) was the spaceman,

    * rex was the tyrannosaurus,

    * bo (Bo Peep) was the girl who took care of the sheep,

    * hamm was the piggy bank,

    * slink (Slinky Dog) was the toy dog,

    * potato was, of course, Mr. Potato,

    * woody was the cowboy.

    * sarge was the sergeant of the Green Plastic Army Men.