Re: Debian-Fluxbox Q

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:17:11 -0400, Tony Uceda Velez
<tvelez@secureworks.com> wrote:
> Changing my default desktop manager in Debian has proven a little more
> cumbersome than I thought.  I edited my
> /etc/X11/default-display-manager file to the absolute path of where the
> fluxbox binary file is.

fluxbox is a window manager, not a display manager. A window manager
manages windows. A display manager provides a means of logging into
the computer graphically and automatically starting X.

To change the default display manager use dpkg-reconfigure <desired
dm> rather than editing files which can go wrong when packages are
updated/removed/added.

To change window manager, put the binary name in the file ~/.xsession
and choose the option 'Default' in your display manager. This is
provided by (At least) wdm and xdm; I imagine gdm and kdm also provide
a 'default' entry.

Otherwise there may also be a default-window-manager symlink managed
by update-alternatives; how that is honoured I don't know.

--
Jon Dowland
dowland@gmail.com