mkinitrd: RAID support requires raidtools2

I'm trying to do software raid on a fresh install of Woody with a
2.4.26 kernel.  In order to load the software raid I need to make an
initrd image, so I installed initrd-tools.  However, when I run
mkinitrd, I get the following message:

# mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.4.26 2.4.26
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: RAID support requires raidtools2

I've got raidtools2 installed (even though I am using mdadm).  I have
the module 'md' specified in /etc/mkinitrd/modules.  What can I do to
fix this error?