Re: Detaching and reattaching a process to different terminals?

The program your looking for (for in the future) is called  screen.
apt-get install screen

>From the package description:
"screen is a terminal multiplexor that runs several separate "screens"
on a single physical character-based terminal. Each virtual terminal
emulates a DEC VT100 plus several ANSI X3.64 and ISO 2022 functions.
Screen sessions can be detached and resumed later on a different
terminal."

Run screen first.  Then it will give you a shell again.
Run whatever app you want on that terminal.

To detach, hit control-a then d
To reattach, run   screen -r
(-r for resume, control-a is the command char to screen, and d is detach)
You can also hit control-a ?  in screen for more commands.

As I said, as you have to run screen first, this won't help with your
current problem, but in the future it may.

Another handy feature is you can have up to 10 terminals in one screen season.
Tons of other useful features as well.

GNU Screen: an introduction and beginner's tutorial
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/9/16838/14935