Smc wireless card freezes Debian Sarge

I have this computer and a Smc2602w v.3 wireless card (with an Am1771
chipset) that I can't get working under Debian. I know the card
functions under Linux because I originally installed RH9 on the
computer and got the card nicely working. I had no mentionable
problems with it.

Now on Debian Sarge I manage to compile the driver without errors,
load it and even configure it to connect to a network but when I try
to get an IP using dhcp the whole computer freezes. For more
information on what I and others have already tried have a look at the
linuxquestions.org thread at the links below.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161972&highlight=am1771

or the tiny link at

http://tinylink.com/?LkAXnTSl93

I've ran out of ideas now and am really interested on knowing what is
causing this. There has to be some distribution specific thing that is
giving me problems and that can be fixed/ changed. Maybe the Debian
packaged kernels are missing some option that is present in the RH9
default kernel?

If somebody knows to what is causing me problems or yet give advice on
how to get the card working I'd appreciate it. I'd really prefer
running Debian rather than RH. Thanks in advance.

-niko
Nikolaj Cankar                  phone nmbr.: +358 (0)40 73 000 71