Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2004 #653Subject: Re: ZIP drive question..

Hi Jacob, thanks for trying to help me out. Here is what I tried (to no
avail). How do I know what fs types are available (I tried
repartitioning the zip as Extended but got the same not supported
error)? Am I doing something stupid here?

/home/kyle# /bin/mount /dev/hdd /mnt/zip
mount: you must specify the filesystem type
/home/kyle# /bin/mount -t vfat /dev/hdd /mnt/zip
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
       or too many mounted file systems
/home/kyle# /sbin/fdisk /dev/hdd

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdd: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 239 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdd4   *         1       239    244720    6  FAT16

Command (m for help): q

physics:/home/kyle# /bin/mount -t FAT16 /dev/hdd4 /mnt/zip
mount: fs type FAT16 not supported by kernel

kyle

> Re: ZIP drive question..
> From:
> "Jacob S." <stormspotter@6texans.net>
> Date:
> Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:11:08 -0500
> To:
> debian-user@lists.debian.org
>

>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:44:53 -0500
>"Forinash, Kyle" <kforinas@ius.edu> wrote:
>

>>Hi;
>>
>>I'm having a problem mounting a 250Mb internal zip.
>>a.    dmesg shows me hdd:IOMEGA ZIP 250 ATAPI FLOPPY
>>

>                       ^^^
>

>>b.    standard mount procedures (edit '/dev/sda4  /mnt/zip auto
>>user,noauto 0 0' into /etc/fstab followed by  mount /mnt/zip) gives:
>>"the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device (maybe
>>'insmod driver'?)"
>>

>The dmesg output you pasted above shows the zip drive on hdd. As
>root try running "mount /dev/hdd /mnt/zip". If that works, you'll need
>to change the sda4 in your fstab entry to hdd
>

>If that doesn't work, you may want to run "fdisk /dev/hdd" as root to
>see if the disk is partitioned weird and then add the appropriate
>partition number to your mount command/fstab entry (hdd1, hdd2, etc.).
>

>>I'm new to Debian (having just switched from Red Hat), this is a new
>>install of Woody. An earlier message mentioned something about a ppa
>>module but I can find no ref anywhere to that.
>>

>If dmesg is showing that it's already been setup on /dev/hdd, you
>shouldn't need to load any more modules... except maybe fat or vfat, but
>that would be a totally different error from what you pasted above.
>
>HTH & HAND,
>Jacob

 'Violence is the last refuge of the
     incompetent.'