Re: Fwd: Re: flash and mozilla (and firefox and epiphany)

  --received from Jacob S.--

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:58:50 -0700
> Paul Yeatman <pyeatman@ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
> > Hmmmm.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I did as you said and changed
> > my initial selection "esddsp" to "auto".  Start esd, 'esd &'.
> > Start mozilla.  Go to a flash site;  Freezes.  I then set it back
> > to esddsp just to test it again.  Same thing.  I also tried
> > "artdsp" and flash runs and without killing my browser but no sound.
> > Same thing with "none" as would be expected.  So . . . not sure what
> > to say :)
>
> hmm... I would think it shouldn't work at all if this were the case,
> but - what happens if you do a "whereis esddsp"? Do you have the package
> esound-clients installed?

What more specifically is the case in your "case" above :)

whereis esddsp gives

    ~$ whereis esddsp
    esddsp: /usr/bin/esddsp /usr/share/man/man1/esddsp.1.gz

Yes, esound-clients is installed.

> For grins you might also try setting it back to artdsp and then go to
> the KDE Control Center and tell it to have artsd use esd for sound
> output. (Probably need to do this part as root.)

Hmmm, I'm currently running gnome and don't have kde installed to
any degree at this point.  Would possibly running kde over gnome
offer a solution?

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu