Fwd: Hello Justin

Subject: Hello Justin
Date: Wednesday 21 July 2004 07:02
From: tapan <tapan.roy@amdlbct.com>
To: jguerin@cso.atmel.com

Hi Justin,
Cud you able to make pppd up....here is what I am facing

I am using linux 2.0.x and want to test the existing pppd application. I
 have enabled  TCP/IP in networking options,.... ppp in network device
 support.

But after loading the image in MCF5249 (Motorola Coldfire board) and then
 executing 'pppd' with different options ..etc' ....nothing is happening.

I am getting as

> pppd

pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself but I
pppd: couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to use to do so.
pid 8: failed 256

Can you give a try for the ppd application and tell me the procedure how to
 make this to work. Want to know where I am going wrong.

Thanks
Tapan

Tapan,

You will be much more likely to get useful answers if you post to the list,
and don't email people individually.

The problem you are having is because of the default option in newer
versions of pppd.  The "auth" option is set by default.  Check out "man
pppd" for details, but basically, you're requiring the remote system to
authenticate itself, when you probably should not.  Change that option to
"noauth" and try again.  Post to the list if you still have problems.

Justin Guerin